In a constructive partnership with the board, the chief executive works hard to provide leadership that engages the board in exceptional governance – work that requires a lot of time and energy.
Building the Governance Partnership: The Chief Executive’s Guide to Getting the Best from the Board (Second Edition) offers practical tips and perspectives to help you manage this considerable investment of time and build a partnership with the board that is based on support, trust, honesty, forthrightness, respect, and understanding. Within its pages, you’ll learn how to work for, work with, and work the board. And while it is time-consuming work, the rewards – the success of both you and your organization – are worth the effort.
You’ll learn how to
- establish the board culture that is right for your organization
- practice self-management and cultivate relationships
- inform and communicate with the board
- facilitate a balance in roles and responsibilities
- structure the board’s work
- plan for transitions
Each chapter ends with short essays written by a chief executive and a board chair. These unique perspectives provide a personal touch to the topics covered.